This is documentation for old versions; because of changes in the way the JQuery source and documentation is organized, my scripts no longer work with the current version.
Well, now here it is, a birthday present for JQuery.
UPDATED for version 1.1.4:
Older versions, JQuery 1.1:
The PDFs created have clickable tables of contents for navigation, and aren’t intended for printing.
How I did this
My script, a mash-up of an iText example and the existing docs.js script that generates the XML docs, is here:
How to use it
- Create a local copy of the JQuery subversion repository, by checking out svn://jquery.com/trunk to a local directory.
- Make sure you have java and ant installed to work from the command line (I haven’t gotten around to adding this to the makefile yet).
- Download the iText jar file and put it in the jquery/build subdirectory.
- Save my script to the jquery/build/docs subdirectory.
- Merge the existing jquery/build.xml file with my modified one, or edit the build.xml file to add the target definitions below.
- Save the JQuery hat logo (hat.gif) in the jquery directory (this is needed for the cover page – thanks to Sam Collett for suggesting I add one).
- The PDF docs aren’t created by default. To create them, type ant pdf_docs (to create a file with just the JQuery documentation) or ant pdf_docs_with_plugins (to include documentation from all the plugins listed in the build file). These targets are based on the matching docs targets.
The change to the build.xml file:
If you want to try out the script from the command line, it requires this convulated syntax: