Speaking of the Wikipedia, for some reason I never got around to posting the link to its page of Wikipedia:Unusual articles. Lots of wonderful stuff, it looks like, although I admit that last time I looked at it, I never got past the Boston Molasses Disaster.
If this was an LJ meme, I’d say something like:
post the link to the Unusual Articles page, and five links from it.
Because, it’s just cruel and unusual to make your friends pick just five from a list that includes things like:
- Crushing by elephant – An unusual form of capital punishment used throughout history.
- Football War – A 6 day war fought between El Salvador and Honduras in 1969 over a game of football (soccer).
- Le Pétomane – A French entertainer famous in Victorian times for breaking wind at will.
- Dord – An English word which never existed, but was listed in Webster’s New International Dictionary, Second Edition from 1935 to 1939.
- Acetylseryltyrosylserylisol…serine – An actual name for a chemical that is 1185 letters long. (this one’s for shiffer!)